Apply for a Home
Habitat for Humanity of Elkhart County builds houses in partnership with qualifying partner families and sells the houses at no profit with affordable mortgages. The program also prepares partner families to become successful Habitat homeowners.
2017 Information Meetings
Meetings have not been scheduled. Check back in the fall for more information
Basic Qualifying Criteria
- A need for better housing
- Ability to pay for a monthly mortgage
- Willingness to partner with Habitat
(250 Sweat Equity Hours)
- Legal U.S. Residency Status
- Residency or work history in Elkhart County for the previous year minimum
- Would accept a house in the locations where Habitat is building
- Income falls within our income guidelines (guidelines are being updated currently- check back later for more info)
Here are the steps involved:
Attend an Informational Meeting
These meetings are typically held twice a year throughout Elkhart County. Participants learn more about homeownership basics, the application process, and will be able to pick-up a Habitat application. Applications will be available when the application round is open only.
E-mail or call us at (574) 533-6109 to find out when the next round of meetings will take place.
Complete the application and meet with our Family Services Director to review it. A committee will review all of the applications and will make recommendations to the Board of Directors for approval. Once approved, the ‘process’ is done and the ‘program’ begins.
All prospective Habitat homeowners are required to complete 250 “sweat-equity” hours. This includes participating in the construction process of their home, as well as the homes of other partner families. Families are required to attend at least 20 weeks of financial and home ownership classes.
This training program provides families with a sound foundation of knowledge designed to boost homeownership success.